Skipping/Advancing a Grade
Morrow County has implemented the following options for families as it relates to skipping/advancing a grade:
Option A. No meeting with Superintendent required if the following take place
1. If students can challenge up and take OAKS and demonstrates proficiency in the higher grade level they wish to skip they will have met all academic requirements- Due to depth and breadth they should be working on content above their current grade level.
2. Parent will complete attached Parent request letter and principals will forward it to Superintendent Dirksen indicating student information and rational related to skipping grade level.
3. Parents must read and sign off on attached Acceleration/Skipping Parent awareness information document.
4. Principal will create overall attendance and behavior report and give report to Superintendent as part of review process.
Option B. Hearing with Superintendent will be required if the student does not challenge up to take OAKS or MAPs assessments---
1. Parent will complete attached Parent request letter- principal will forward letter to Superintendent Dirksen indicating student information and rational related to skipping grade level.
2. Parents must read and sign off on attached Acceleration/Skipping Parent awareness information document.
3. Principal will create overall attendance, behavior report and academic ability/progress report. This information will be submitted to Superintendent as part of review process.
4. During the hearing the Principal will present school district academic and behavior information to Superintendent.
5. To demonstrate proficiency in the higher grade level - Teacher must complete attached teacher recommendation/ student performance letter-
6. Superintendent will make final determination/recommendation to allow student to skip grade level
Option C. Hearing will take place if child does challenge up OAKS or MAPS- is below proficient on above grade level test yet still wants to skip/Move up to higher grade- *We will follow all processes connected to Option B*
To view the Acceleration and Whole-Grade Skipping Parent Information as a PDF file, Click here.