Superintendent Dirk Dirksen is pleased to share the latest collaboration between Amazon Web Services (AWS), Morrow County School District, Umatilla Electric Cooperative and Hermiston Energy Services who have donated $25,000 in support of virtual learning and connectivity as the school district prepares for the 2020-21 school year. This donation is great news for Morrow County School District’s distance learning program as it tries to enhance support to students and families with more virtual learning opportunities and connectivity.
AWS had just recently donated 50 laptops to the school district to support distance learning, “these donations are the latest in AWS’s ongoing efforts in Morrow County” shared Dirksen, “there is a long history of AWS supporting STEM related activities for our county’s youth and educators.”
Our plan is to use these latest donations to provide better technology resources for students who have factors that precipitate the need to continue online learning for extended periods of time during this next school year.
We have been very fortunate in Morrow County to provide many exciting opportunities for our students in partnership with many of the industries in Morrow County. Amazon Web Services (AWS) has always stepped up as a major supporter of programs found in Morrow County School District, to include:
- Girls’ Tech Day which is a one-day event designed to inspire and empower young girls in grades 3 to 12, and young women 18 to 24 years of age, to pursue interests and careers in technology. It is a series of learning workshops focused on science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM). The event is free, fun and open to all girls and young women in the area. Over 100 girls participated in that event last year.
- At the Nuts, Bolts, and Thingamajigs Camp, AWS provides a presenter as well as staff to assist students with a project during camp.
- Educator Externship consists of meeting with teachers from across Morrow and Umatilla Counties to talk about data center operations and career opportunities.
- Senior Career Days for Morrow County School District Students provide opportunities to meet with AWS staff off site to learn about AWS careers and different education paths.
- AWS has provided $25,000 in scholarships to students who are enrolled in Blue Mountain Community College’s Data Center Technician Program.
- New this year, AWS is providing local summer internship opportunities to college students for Data Center Technician, Engineering Operations Technician, and Data Center Manager roles. They offered 19 positions in total.
“Morrow County School District is very fortunate to have a partnership with a company that contributes this kind of support to students and families in our community. Thank you again to Amazon Web Services (AWS), Umatilla Electric Cooperative and Hermiston Energy Services,” shared Dirksen.